February 21, 2011

Dosa/Idli Chutney Powder

Yesterday I ran out of chutney powder while having my idli fr breakfast... and I searched in all my usual grocery stores, but there seemed to be a shortage of chutney powder. I went about again to some more stores today, but no luck. This made me do the most unusual deal ... I decided to make it at home. I knew it was simple, but had no clue what the ingredients were. So, as usual, I called up Amma and she told me the list of stuff needed and how to go about making it. I had everything required at home, so making it was no issue at all. 


Here are the list of ingredients
  1. Arhar Dal - 1/4 cup
  2. Moong Dal - 1/4 cup 
  3. Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
  4. Dry flat red chillies - 6/7
  5. Garlic - 4
  6. Asafoetida - 1 tsp or one small piece
  7. Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
  8. Curry leaves (optional)
  9. Pepper powder - 1tsp
  10. Oil - 1 tbsp
Method
  1. Fry the asafoetida in the oil. 
  2. When well done, add all the ingredients except the pepper powder. If you wish to use pepper corns, then fry that also.
  3. Fry till all the lentils are well done and brown n colour. 
  4. Remove from fire and mix the pepper powder and mix well.
  5. Cool well and grind to a very fine powder.
  6. Add salt after grinding and store. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts ...