January 22, 2014

Book Review: The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Set in Gaborone, capital of Botswana, the protagonist is a smart, intelligent women who decides the country needs a detective agency, and she goes about setting it up.

A straight As student, falls into a bad marriage and picks up her life to set up something she believes in. When I picked up the book, I thought it was going to be a mystery novel and would be interesting. But, I was in for a shock. It does certainly have mysteries, and many. Some small, short and sweet, and some which pan the whole book. There is the mystery of the heart and how we deal with our lives on a daily basis.

White lies, being cheeky and being human. I think this is what the spoke to me about. It makes one feel glad the way we deal with things and at times makes you feel less guilty of those things which you think are all wrong with your life.

This is a very easy read and truly a feel good book!

Rating: 4/5


2 comments:

  1. It indeed is a super book Aathira, I loved it too.

    When you find time (2 hrs to be precise), watch the TV series they made of it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLENPUJ5OCU

    I had seen it on HBO, and it's as brilliant as the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Will surely do that :)

      * Now to go and find those 2 hours!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts ...